A multimeter is a combination of a multirange DC voltmeter, multirange AC voltmeter, multirange ammeter, and multirange ohmmeter. An un-amplified analog multimeter combines a meter movement, range resistors and switches.
Features of Multimeter:
- Voltage, alternating and direct, in volts.
- Current, alternating and direct, in amperes.
- The frequency range for which AC measurements are accurate must be specified.
- Resistance in ohms.
- Frequency in hertz.
- Digital multimeters may also include circuits for:Continuity tester; sounds when a circuit conducts
- Diodes (measuring forward drop of diode junctions), and transistor (measuring current gain and other parameters).
- Battery checking for simple 1.5 volt and 9 volt batteries.
Applications of Multimeter:
- To measure AC/DC voltage.
- To measure AC/DC current.
- To test continuity.
- To test diode, transistor